Salford VCSE Conference
Exchanging ideas and networking is one of the best ways to get inspired and to make important connections, so we were delighted to be part of the Salford CVSE Conference in May 2019 at the AJ Bell Stadium.
The theme for the conference 'From Radical Roots to Practical Action' gave delegates the opportunity to explore a range of pressing topics from their own perspectives. These included:
- the impact of Brexit on communities in Britian
- community-led, local initiatives to help save the planet and create sustainable practices
- taking practical action to end inequality
- putting children and young people at the heart local initiatives and giving them a leadership role in community campaigns
- an economy that benefits as many people as possible
- exploring the history of social change and our sector's role
This last workshop 'exploring social history...' was co-delivered by Ben from Walk the Plank and was based within the following context:
"For over 200 years philanthropists, social and political reformers have strived to better the lives of the wider community, in this workshop we look at the long and rich history of radical reform from the city of Salford. To better understand our place in today’s community and voluntary sector should we look to the past to understand the role we play in today’s current climate of social change?"
"Much of Walk the Plank's work is rooted in local culture and historical narratives, often created in partnership with local people who work with us to create their own stories. So, it was great to be co-facilitating this workshop which explored how we could reflect on our past history to help us navigate a path through contemporary challenges around social change." Ben Turner, Project Manager