Manchester Day 2020: Our Planet, Our City
Call for applications to participate
Deadline for applications: Monday 10 February 2020
We’re looking for community groups, volunteers and organisations throughout the city to apply to be part of Manchester Day 2020 and bring your energy, enthusiasm and commitment to create an amazing day…in response to this year's theme 'Our Planet, Our City'.
Calling all planet protectors and agents for change: you’re invited to bring your most resourceful imaginations to this year’s parade.
Let’s create structures, costumes and props to promote a more sustainable world and bring greener energy to the streets of the city.
We’re once again spreading the word for mother
nature. How will your group help tell an important story of wildlife conservation? Let’s groove for the gorrillas and samba for the sea turtles.
The urgency of climate change requires us all to rethink as well as to recycle … now’s the time to forge new ideas from recycled materials as we once again harness the amazing power of people to make the North’s most amazing parade.
Manchester Day 2020 will celebrate the live wires in our communities, galvanise our neighbourhoods and electrify the streets with a surge of energy as our city rises to the challenge of using less now to save it for/protect it for the future … on the longest day, as the sun reaches its highest point in the year, we will recharge our city’s batteries and kick start summer in the city.
Come together once more for the 11th Manchester Day Parade for our city and our planet…
How to get involved…
This year we’ll be working with acclaimed designer Dan Potra as Creative Director to help shape the vision for the parade and he will work with artists and groups to develop sections of the parade. We welcome creative ideas for floats, costumes, music and performance for the parade and squares in response to the theme. As ever, we harness people-power and embrace structures that can be pushed, pulled, wheeled or walked. Walk the Plank will team you with professional support from an artist/co-ordinator to develop ideas.
If you’re not part of a group
- The WOW Crowd! gives individuals a chance to take part. Being part of the WOW Crowd will give you a great opportunity to meet people, work with artists, musicians and performers.
- You can volunteer to help in the lead up to Manchester Day and/or on the day itself
- Thanks to a C-Change award, we’re on the lookout for ‘citizen champions’ who wish to spread the word amongst the Manchester Day community on how people can make a difference in terms of environmental sustainability. Get in touch if that's you.
The Application Process
We want to encourage as many people as possible to take part in Manchester Day. However, entry is subject to a selection process and cannot be guaranteed. As resources are limited, we have to say no to some groups.
If the event is oversubscribed as in all previous years, priority will be given to:
- Groups who can demonstrate both a commitment in time (e.g. 1 workshop of 2-3 hours per week for 4 weeks) and the ability to follow through the whole process.
- Groups who are able to bring some funding or resources to Manchester Day.
If you want to apply to be part of Manchester Day 2020 apply online at: https://manchesterday.co.uk/participate-perform/ If you’d like to apply by filling in a form, please request one through email@example.com