Feast of Fire Milton Keynes
Our brief is to create a memorable outdoor celebration, bringing a party feel to this unique post war New Town by animating spaces in its now highly renowned urban design. Built on a grid pattern to a progressive master plan, Milton Keynes is unashamedly modernist in its design and remains a fascinating example of visionary post-war town planning covering 119 miles2, and designed so that no one is ever more than half a mile away from parkland.
Surprising, different and ground-breaking - and much loved by its fiercely proud residents - it comes as no surprise that we have a natural affinity with Milton Keynes, which is why we're delighted to be creating the Feast of Fire. Set within Central Milton Keynes’ urban landscape, our programme of events will provide an array of site-responsive performances and installations featuring:
- Spellbound – the story of Rama and Sita told through shadow play punctuated by fire and special effects…a delightful family show for an audience of thousands as we approach Diwali, starting at 6.30pm
- The People’s Procession – 250 flaming torches carried by people of all ages and backgrounds drawn from across Milton Keynes’ diverse communities.
- A Fire Garden in Midsummer Boulevard, featuring new work by Milton Keynes’ artists alongside Walk the Plank’s beautiful fiery installations in and around the iconic Porte Cocheres which mark the crossing points along the boulevard…running for 3 hours from dusk.
- Installations by French artist Denis Tricot, and UK sound artist Dan Fox, both featuring live music & sound.
- ‘Playing with Fire’ - fire drawings created by young people working with Walk the Plank and the MKDons.
- A joyous birthday party with Mr Wilson’s Second Liners, where New Orleans jazz meets club classics on a flaming stage in the Point car park...finished off with a spectacular firework finale around 10.30pm.
The FREE event takes place on Saturday 21 October.