Limerick School of Spectacle 2018
12th – 19th March 2018
Our second foray to Limerick took place in March 2018 in the run up to the city’s annual St Patrick’s Day Parade with a strong focus on outdoor arts production for procession and community co-creation. Given that we were working towards creating a key section of the city’s annual celebration of the country’s patron saint, the school also covered practical making techniques for 3D processional elements, props/costume and animating procession through movement and aerial.
Putting theory into practice during a short space of time, 25 international and local creative practitioners produced and delivered a section in the parade called ‘Whirling Wings Circus’, inspired by feathers, birds and movement. Our creative practitioners worked with Limerick community groups ‘Northside Misfits’ on percussion and ‘Limerick Roller Derby’ on their skates. Their section was extremely well received, featuring as highlights on the publicity, with aerialists on push frames, bird puppets, drumming, movement with flags, stilt walking and cranes with aerialists.
- Walk the Plank (UK) Alexis Johnson and Liz Pugh (UK) outdoor arts specialists, lead partner for the School of Spectacle.
- Fidget Feet (IE) Chantal McCormick and Jym Darling co-founders of Ireland’s first contemporary aerial circus company.
- Lumen (IE) Martin Shannon and Kate Hodmon, co-founders of Lumen Street Theatre
- Realta (IE) Aidan Phelan, co-founder Realta street theatre and creative producer on Limerick St Patrick’s Day Parade.
- Naomi Parker (UK)– Independent artist
- Kerith Ogden (UK) – Handmade ParadeFeedback from Limerick:
“First of all I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to participate at the 5th School of Spectacle held at Limerick, Ireland between 11th – 18th of March 2018. It has been an amazing week for me. The workshop was absolutely well organised from the day of arrival till the last day giving the feeling of security and professionalism.” Sotiroula Konikkou – Community Involvement Coordinator – Pafos 2017
“Greetings from Tipperary – I just wanted to write and thank all of you for a life-affirming and life- changing experience. It was remarkable how each one of you contributed and I am very grateful to all of you.” Mary O’Neill, creative practitioner